In Italy, meals are usually finished, with a bite of fresh fruits rather than an indulgence in desserts. Desserts after meals are such a rarity, that they mark a special occasion. Maybe that’s the reason why, Italian desserts are always presented lavishly, with quite indulging ingredients and having unique flavor combinations, such that they pleasure the taste buds beyond words.Due to the attention to the fine details that the Italians pay, their desserts are getting a lot of attention. And among the all the popular Italian Desserts, Tiramisu is definitely the most favorite.
Tiramisu, the masterpiece of Italian cooking, is an elegant and a rich dessert having a velvety and a soft texture which provides a luxurious treat to those connoisseurs of food. This dessert literally translates to ‘Pick Me Up’ and there is a story as to why it means so. The dish is so named because of the two irresistible caffeinated ingredients present in the dessert, espresso and cocoa, which would simply swoon the taster of his feet, making him want more. Truth or not, the world is not complaining and people just love their tiramisu
How to make Tiramisu?
- 16 oz mascarpone cheese
- 5 egg yolks
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Black coffee (Freshly powdered preferred)
- Lady Fingers cookies
- Whipped cream
- Cocoa powder to dust
1) Making the Mascarpone Cream-
- Mix the egg yolks with sugar (1 tbsp sugar per egg yolk).
Note: Tiramisu uses raw eggs and hence eggs need to be fresh
- Whisk the eggs until a whitish mixture gets formed
- Once the mixture looks fluffy, creamy and has a rich texture, add mascarpone cheese in small quantities, while continuing to whisk it, to make sure granular lumps don’t get formed.
2) Preparation of the base-
- Prepare a regular black coffee and allow it to cool down until it reaches the room temperature.
- Finely chop the chocolate, such that it can be sprinkled on top of the Tiramisu
3) Putting it together:
- It is time to assemble this awesome dessert. And this assembly requires the use of lady fingers. Dip the lady fingers in the coffee, such that they get entirely covered and place them up in a glass baking pan.
Note: Dip the lady fingers and take them out quickly, as the cookies tend to break, if they are dipped in the coffee for too long.
- Cover the lady fingers with a generous layer of freshly made mascarpone cream. Smooth it out with a spatula to make the mixture look voluminous.
- Dust the cocoa powder on top of this layer of mascarpone cream. If one likes, one can add pieces of dark chocolate on top of the cocoa powder, just to give the layer that extra crunch.
- Repeat the process of adding layer after layer, until you reach the top of the glass.
- Whip the cream over the top of the final layer and finish it off by a generous dusting of sugar and chocolate.
4) Serving Instruction:
Place the Tiramisu in the fridge for around 4-5 hours before serving. This makes the cookies soak up the coffee and the other flavors, just making this dessert taste so heavenly.
This is a simple way of preparing the Tiramisu. Though the Italians might be having the Tiramisu during festival celebrations, one may not have to wait that long to consume this dessert and they can make it, right in their homes using the above mentioned simple recipe.
Stressed spelled backwards is desserts. Coincidence? I think not! ~Author Unknown